Tuesday, August 10, 2010

If You Need Extra Protein in Your Diet

If you need extra protein in your diet, consider riding around White Rock Lake in the early morning with your mouth open. The gnats you'll consume are enough to nourish anyone. I feel like a greedy frog.

So, obviously, I rode this morning. And it was fine. BS and I are getting along well this week. We're still the tortoise, bringing up the tail end, but regardless, we're moving along at a consistent clip, and I just have to evolve to the point where I'm OK with that. This is a race against myself and not anyone else.

If only I could be more pleasant while riding. As always, my thoughts drifted between the serious aspects of my life and the more trivial. And today's trivial, albeit entertaining thought, was this: if I were a character in "Animal House" (and this is as it pertains to working out, not socializing) I'd be Douglas Needermeir. As we learn at the end of the film, his platoon mutinied and killed him in Vietnam. That's how pleasant I am, folks, to my teammates. If we were trapped in the jungle on our bikes, they might consider taking me out for the morale of the whole. I have GOT to get out of my head and realize that when people ask me how training is going, they aren't implying I suck... that's all me and my crazy.

Last night we had an open water swim out at Lake Ray Hubbard... what a clean body of water that is. It was also approximately a bagillion degrees. But, all and all, I did just fine. My sighting has improved and I finished the workout. This of course, was after a mini-temper tantrum to one of the nicest mentors TNT has provided in which I think I said something along the lines of "I'm totally screwed. I quit." If I had had dry land beneath my feet, I would have stomped and kicked and made other pronouncements like a petulant three-year-old. It's all very charming.

Point of these wonderful insights into my team-player abilities is to say, even though I'm a bit of a handful, I think I'm growing. Admission is the first part of recovery.

As for recovery this morning, it will involve almonds, prayer and a shower.

Happy Tuesday,
Claire

Also, please visit my official Team In Training page to donate today- after all, supporting LLS and helping save lives what this is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment