Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Roids

I never though I'd say this (especially after the stint I had with them as a 16-year-old) but I love steroids. And so does my compromised colon. We had a great workout yesterday! Did 22ish miles on the bike and ran 4 miles after. Best part, I felt GREAT. I am so thankful. It's a short dose of steroids- only 7 days- but the theory is that the quick shot will nip my Crohn's in the bud before it rages on too out of control. This is the nature of the beast but there is always that fear that after stopping the steroids, the beast will resurface, which based on the timing of this, would be almost right at race day. But we can't worry about tomorrow. So today, I'm grateful to God for making this treatment available and for my doctor who enthusiastically wrote the prescription.

I'm also thankful for the flat tire I had yesterday. I changed it all by myself, with moral support from a sweet teammate and a nice stranger who gave me a CO2 cartridge. I am so happy to know I can change a tire should that happen race day. Huge relief!

Today I swim. Going up to the SMU pool to practice in the big kid lane (50meters). It's exactly two weeks from today, that the big kid lane I'll be swimming in will be the Potomac River. Can't believe we're in the home stretch!

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment