Monday, June 21, 2010

Anniversaries

This morning has been a good one in the world of training. Got up, ran 60 minutes and am home studying for a curriculum exam I'm taking this Saturday. I say studying loosely as I've be procrastinating since I got home 3 hours ago but was thankful that my idling didn't prove to be in vain.

While checking my email there was a team note from Rebecca Holmes, the mother of Gage, the little boy my tri team is racing for this September. She was sending out words of encouragement to us all since training is becoming quite challenging and, as she so accurately put it, the "new" has worn off. She also shared with us that today is the three year anniversary of Gage's diagnosis of cancer. The journey her family has been through is truly awe-inspiring. I honestly don't know her well or her family, but every time I hear their story I become more and more proud to be participating in this event which has so profoundly helped their family and countless others.

Selfishly, it also got me thinking about other anniversaries and how important it is to remember them and celebrate them, no matter what they represent. Yesterday actually happens to have been the 12th anniversary of a car accident I was involved in when I was 17 which resulted in a very traumatic injury to my left hand. My left index finger looks like ET's (a Halloween costume I still fully intend to execute) and I'm still to this day often asked about my "burn" as the skin looks like it was at some point lit on fire.

It used to be a scene I though alot about. Nightmares, anxiety, a deep need to always drive, etc. but as time marches on the scar does fade, both externally and internally. I am so thankful to be able to use my hand almost as if it were normal. To type and tie shoes and run and swim, I am blessed. And it was a wonderful reminder this morning, to hear a celebration of thanks from a person who is still coping with trauma within her own family because of her child's health. How easy it is to be grateful when you are through a hurdle like that, but to share words of celebration while it's still going on is truly inspiring. And one of the greatest motivators I can think of.

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment