Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just Like a Fish

I have really turned a corner with swimming. I'll be honest, when this process started, I though I'd take to the pool easily- I love the water!

I was wrong. Swim proved to be the most challenging aspect of training from day one. But here at week 7, I'm loving it. I finally got my rhythm down and can actually breathe (big plus). I used to huff and puff after 50 meters but now, 200 is no biggie. I realize that's a drop in the bucket since I have to swim across a river to the tick of 1800 meters, but I feel more confident in reaching the shore now.

It's also very interesting to see what pops to mind while you're swimming. For example, the other day in the pool I started stroking to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm." And at the same time was pondering swim caps in general. My Grandmother always wore one. She said it kept her hair nice (she had her hair set every Monday) and I believed her. But now I think she was just crazy because nothing about a swim cap keeps your hair nice. In fact, if I'd had my hair set, a pool would be the last place I'd venture.

Anyway, these little conversations with myself pull me through to the end of the lane. And hopefully, across a river.

Claire

2 comments:

  1. When I swam in high school, the oddest things would pop into my head. I did a lot of singing - trying to find the right song to keep me at a good tempo. I can totally see how "Old MacDonald" would do that for you. Great job on increasing your endurance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you, girl. You're really doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete