Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Morning After

I swam last night. I swam for the first time in approximately 10 years. To be clear, I've been in a pool. I've been in many bodies of water in fact, but to actually, aggressively swim with some inkling of "technique," we're talking YEARS.

What did I learn during my hour in the pool? Several things.
1. I am, in fact, out of shape.
2. If I were to be chased by a shark and my life depended on out-swimming the beast, I would die.
3. The supportive presence of a friend is one of the strongest and most helpful forces in the world (thanks to my would-be swim coach for the day, Tori).
4. The greatest sleep aid is exercise.
5. I can and will improve.

If you know me, you're asking yourself, "why in the heck is Claire talking about exercise?" and if you don't know me, you're thinking "why in the world should I care?" Both are very legitimate questions. Here's the deal: I have recently decided and began the process of training for a triathalon this September to be held in Washington DC.

Here are the details from my official fundraising page which you can visit here: "As some of you may already know, I'm training to participate in the Nation's Triathalon this September 12, in Washington D.C. as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. I'm very excited to support a foundation I believe in and that does amazing work at impacting the lives of thousands of cancer patients.

All of us on Team In Training are raising funds to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives. I am completing this event in honor of all individuals who are battling blood cancers. These people are the real heroes on our team, and we need your support to cross the ultimate finish line - a cure!"


You should also know, I've never done anything like this in my life. So why now? Firstly, I believe in the incredible work of the LLS- blood cancers are something we've all been touched by and I am proud to support research for a cure. But secondly, and more selfishly, I'm doing this for me. I want to cross a finish line (it's more complicated than that, but I'll spare you the emotional explanation- for now). I hope you'll check in and see my progress. I'm looking forward to this very bumpy ride.


Claire


***Please visit my official Team in Training LLS page here!***





1 comment:

  1. Yay Claire! I Loved being your swim coach for the evening- you did great! I am so glad you are doing this race. We are going to have so much fun. Training with you will mean that the rest of us will burn a few extra calories because you will be cracking us up the whole time! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete