Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Surprised by Spinning

I have to say, I'm truly shocked at how much I enjoy spin class. The reasons I am so shocked are as follows:

1. elderly classmates out-spin me
2. I require assistance from the instructor to get my little stationary bike ready to receive me
3. I sweat like a sumo wrestler in a sauna
4. I'm a loud breather

I mean, really, the list could go on and on. But despite these attention-grabbing features of spinning, I happen to LOVE it. I can't believe I have such a sense of accomplishment from, literally, going nowhere. But there's something about that little stationary bike that makes me feel like a rock star, even though I don't look like one.

It's interesting the things that go through your mind while you're sweating out every ounce of water from your body. Today, I remembered biking up the steep hills in the neighborhood where I grew up and all my skinny-minny playmates zooming past me. All the while, my 9-year-old little body was not having it (truthfully, I was alot like a neurotic New Yorker, even back then. Think Woody Allen meets hair bows- all under 5 feet- yes, there were glasses involved).

Point being, that hill was always a real beat-down. It intimidated me (and was the scene of an unfortunate rollerskating/stop sign incident) and it made me feel like I couldn't keep up. But in a room where you're not moving, there's no pressure to keep up. Only to do your best.

Claire

1 comment:

  1. No one really understands my love of spinning until you have actually done it yourself! Wait until you've been going for a few weeks and you will def see changes in your legs and butt! Great job and if you need a spinning or running partner let me know!

    ReplyDelete