Monday, May 10, 2010

Re-do

I took a brief hiatus from blogging this weekend, but not because I didn't work out. I had the pleasure of attending a fabulous wedding in Houston (where I thoroughly enjoyed the gym at the St. Regis and a delightful fruit plate after my workout). But I also lost my job on Friday.

When the opportunity to sign up for this triathalon presented itself just 3 weeks ago, I felt called to sign up because I was looking to really make some changes in my life. And I certainly have. My life looks nothing like it did exactly a year ago. Everything has been stripped down to the studs. And I welcome it.

I got up this morning, jumped on the treadmill and honestly, had a very successful run. It felt great. I am so excited to have this training to look forward to every day. In fact, I'm hitting up the Y later to get in a swim since I missed yesterday's workout.

When you lose a job, people always start talking truisms- doors closing, windows opening, you know the schtick. I think the obvious assumption is that a new job would be my new window. But I have to wonder if this goal, this training, isn't my window. Not to sound cheesy, but it's the most intimidating thing I've attempted, maybe ever. The process is completely uncharted territory and I think that's where we really have the chance to evolve.

This whole year has been unchartered territory in many ways. There have been lots of tears, and stress and frustration. But here, with one more challenge to add to my list, I say bring it. I'm tired of crying and I'm ready to get moving.

Claire

1 comment: