Sunday, July 18, 2010

Double Brick

I had to take a day off blogging after yesterday's workout. Because I was traumatized. Saturday morning was my first brick- meaning, two disciplines in one workout. And it was a double, so the morning consisted of: 9 mile bike ride, 2 mile run, 9 mile bike ride, 2 mile run.

And when I say it was hard, I mean, it was really, really, really, really hard. And hot. And I cried. Alot. And my knees hurt. Alot. And I cursed at my bike. Alot. And I got passed by elderly bike riders and kids. Alot. And I wanted to give up. Alot.

But, I did not quit. I almost vomited on my pretty pink running shoes, but I didn't quit. I finished that danged thing, and after a 36 hour reflection period in which I've had many "exercise is a metaphor for life moments," I feel OK.

I feel OK because:
1. I am proud I didn't quit and go home, like I wanted to.
2. I was humbled by a friend's unselfish support to run the last leg of my brick with me, even when she had already finished her workout and was certainly tired.
3. I feel stronger today after breaking down on my bike.
4. I was able to do my run today and get 4.5 miles in 45 minutes.
5. I will get back on my bike this week. Blue Steel and I will bond, come hell or high water.

I really did used to scoff when people would say all that stuff about running being a metaphor for life. Don't misunderstand ... I love a good underdog story, but I just never bought into it. Life is a metaphor for life. I mean, it's life. I just assumed these people didn't understand the definition of metaphor- the way people use irony inaccurately.

But yesterday when I was spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning and I kept getting passed and I couldn't keep up.... HELLO. Thank you metaphor. I must focus on doing MY best and not keeping up with everyone else. I've got a big learning curve in many areas of my life so I need to train and practice and pray for patience.

I'll catch up. In my own sweet time.

Claire

1 comment:

  1. Claire i think you should be proud of what you have accomplished in such a short time! You are definitely an inspiration! Keep up the great work girl!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete