Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mark This Day On Your Calendar

July 24, 2010: Blue Steel and I began to bond today. I'm not going to go out on a limb here and say I "like" biking, but I will tell you, this morning's group ride was semi-miraculous. I don't know if it was the nutrition lecture I received earlier this week or the Tylenol simply-sleep I took last night, but something clicked this morning and I had a really strong ride. Or I should say, my strongest yet.

120min set aside for a ride is an intimidating chunk --Especially when you start thinking "oh God, please don't let me take 120 minutes to finish my ride during the actual event." However, the time spun by pretty quickly. We started with a simple ride around the lake. A nice breeze helped keep sweating to a minimum (excellent since I can only carry one water bottle with me presently) and there were fewer bikers out this morning (though, there were a FREAKISH amount of runners out... seriously, they were in packs).

After the first time around the lake we plodded through Lakewood taking on some pretty serious hills. Many a curse word was uttered. Then it was back around the lake and one more time up the hill, aptly attached with the street Loving.

Finished with approximately 21 miles at 120 minutes, including a break to help a teammate with a flat- so really, we made some good time! This was also my third time this week to watch a flat tire be repaired, so I'm feeing very prepared, mechanically speaking.

Truly, my attitude about biking is shifting... I think it's going to be fine. AND, possibly the best side-effect: biking has removed me from kankle-warning-zone. It's good to be out of danger.

Claire

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I'm so proud of these accomplishments! And love reading the updates even more. I have a little hula girl that might need to be affixed to the bike...

    ReplyDelete