Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Today's Lesson

I had a little moment in the pool today. After running for 40 minutes, I hopped in for a 60 minute swim- this sequence of events made me feel like a real badass. I mean. Seriously. If you know me at all, you know that such activity is COMPLETELY out of character. What's more, I like it. As I began my warm-up for swim, I just had a real sense of strength today.

Which is incredible. To actually feel physically strong, and not just like an emotional steel trap, is a very unique feeling for me. I've always thought of myself as tough because I have a very high tolerance for pain. And to a degree that does make me pretty cool, however, I've never considered myself someone who's in shape, per se. My left hand is oddly strong because I had to have physical therapy on it after my car accident back in the day (which was also good for opening jars and my piano playing- I can reach a whole octave with my left), but besides that, I've always been a little pudgy, and a little puny.

But not today. Today I felt strong. I'd like to bottle that feeling up and save it for other days when I don't feel so hot. Days when I freak out about the job situation, or my health, or just general ridiculousness. I think a good swig of "strong" would be an amazing tool for life. Sadly, I'll just have to keep drinking the over-chlorinated pool water to get my high. It's better than the alternative for sure.

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment